Tuesday, June 18, 2013

June 18, 2013

June 18, 2013


Hola mi Famila,


        How is everything in Holladay?  I got your letters this week and I loved hearing from you guys and I read them whenever I get the chance.  It seems like everything is good and home and everyone is one piece.  I am in one piece as well.  I am really happy that it’s my p-day today and I was looking forward to writing you guys this whole week.  The MTC is big and the elders in my District joke around that it is sprit prison and we are stuck in it.  I live on the MTC campus in 19M and my class are in 9m.  The language is really difficult but I have realized that it will come.  The Hermanas in our district are freaking magicians and already can speak the language.  The elders in my district just laugh because we can’t speak any Spanish but just say a prayer and how are you doing.  When I first got here the host took me into the main building.  I got my name tag and everything that I’ll need for my stay at the MTC.  Then he took me to my room which is a big room that can hold six missionaries in it but there are only four in our room.  The Elders in my room are my companion, Elder Lee from Virgina, Elder Hurren from Alabama, and Elder Rodriguez from Murray.  I told you in my first letter the Elders in my room don't talk much, but that changed and we talk a lot now and we are definitely bonding and becoming good friends together which is way nice.  The two other Elders in my district are way sweet and I love to talk with them.  My companion is weird and does some weird stuff.  He doesn't really study much and I feel like I have to do most of the work when it comes to teaching an investigator and learning the language.  He straight up flirts with the Hermanas in our district and other districts and he is a complete jerk to them.  He also didn't come to MTC really prepared.  He brought pants that don’t have a button, no hangers, or laundry bag, no soap to wash himself in the shower, no laundry soap so I had to spot him with some.  He is an interesting duck, that’s all I can say.  He would also block the door when the Hermanas left to do something and when they came back he wouldn't let them in and he would block them out.  I had to tell him a few times to let them back in and told him to stop.  He is quite an experience.  I also get frustrated because I am the one trying to work hard to teach the investigator and he doesn’t really make an effort to do anything.  He helps out when I ask him to look up something or figure out a saying.  I feel like the senior companion at times when he is supposed to be leading.  He is crazy but what can I do about it?  The other Elders in my district are awesome and we laugh a lot together.  We crack jokes together and we just have a fun time together.  Elder Hurren from Alabama is way tight.  He has the southern accent going and it’s awesome.  He is also way funny and I sit right next to him in our classroom and we have fun together.  Elder Rodriguez is his companion and a way cool dude as well.  He played soccer at Murray High and at Salt Lake Community College.  We laugh a lot together and have so much fun together.  There is a Hermana in our district who is from Washington and is extremely smart and caught on with the language within the first day.  She loves apples and tells everyone she meets that her city is the apple capital of the world.  The elders in my district came up with a nickname for her and we call her the apple lady when she isn't watching because she loves her apples to death and gets one every meal during the day.  She also is freaky because the very first day I was here I hardly knew anyone real well and she straight up told me that she eats so many carrots that she turns orange and I was like who the heck is this lady.  I later told the Elders and we laughed about it.  We have a sweet teacher.  His name is Brother Green and he is from Portland.  He always is happy to teach us and I have learned a lot from him.  He makes you work hard and do your best.  Our other teacher is kind of crazy and insane but he is a roving teacher and goes around all the classrooms and helps out.  After our second lesson with our investigator he pulled me and my companion aside into a classroom and told us straight- up that we didn't love our investigator and we need to love her more.  And the whole time I was thinking like what the heck, I can’t carry on a conversation nor speak the language.  After he talked to us he left and I was kind of put down the whole day because it is so difficult to try and teach plus do it in Spanish.  But I have learned to love Brother Zenger and I realized that he has a good message about him.  Yesterday we had to prepare to teach our investigator and I was the one working my butt off to come up with a plan.  I prayed and prayed and I felt like we should just go in there and show her we love her by just asking her questions and getting to know her.  I told my companion to start figuring out questions and he came up with like two and then I had to find the rest.  We had this plan all down and we practiced it with the Hermanas and we felt like it was good.  Then after our language study we had to go with another teacher and role play with her and I was like ok.  So me and my companion rolled in there and started to do our lesson and she said timeout and told us that it felt like we were just throwing out questions at her and we weren’t getting anything across and she told us that the language isn't the barrier.  In my head I was like what the heck how do you teach when you don’t understand anything they say and how can you go off that?  I didn't feel good at all after what she said and I went to dinner afterwards not feeling right.  We came back to our classroom and Hermono Zenger was there.  He got mad at the Hermanas because they were late and told them they were wasting Gods time when you are late.  After we had a prayer and everything we had to go and teach our investagator.  The first elders where up and when they left he talked to my companion and I.  He told us to pull out peach my gospel and go to 185 or something I can’t remember and it was about how to teach and listen.  He told us to just go in there and try and listen and even if you have to have her repeat or write things down it’s fine.  He told us to just ask her what was most important to her in life and see if we could go off that.  He gave us really good advice and helped us out a lot.  We went in after he told us that and we asked her that and we told her that we couldn't really understand her and our Spanish is bad and she asked why are we learning Spanish.  Me and my companion proceed to tell her that we are learning it to help God covert people and that was pretty much our lesson.  We left afterwards and Brother Zenger asked how it went and we said good and told him what we said and he was very impressed and said we did what was right.  Hopefully we can teach the investigator more and I will understand the language better in the days to come.  Thanks for everything you do and I can’t wait to hear from you guys during the week and I love you guys tons and miss you guys tons.  The stake presidency is going to be awesome and I am excited to hear about our new bishop.  There isn't a moment in the day when I don’t think about you guys.  I wish I could tell you more about everything but I'll try writing you during the week. Love you guys tons and hopefully I answered everything you asked.  Can’t wait to get your package!!! Miss you and love you!!!


Love, 


Elder Smith (Stin)

No comments:

Post a Comment